70 Years of Progress: The Story of Werner Electric Supply
In 2018, Werner Electric Supply will be celebrating our 70th anniversary! In honor of this milestone, let’s reflect back on our history.
Werner Electric Supply was founded by Walter Werner in 1948. Walter originally opened a small appliance store in downtown Neenah, but soon realized an expansion was crucial for better access to products and to better serve his customers. In 1955, Werner Electric partnered with Allen-Bradley. This allowed for greater access to the local electrical industry.
Lynn Werner and Lynn T MacDonald
In 1961, Lynn Werner took over the family business as president and CEO. This led to the opening of a new location in Green Bay, Wisconsin in 1973. Werner Electric continued to grow. In 1984, Lynn MacDonald joined Werner Electric as Vice President of Sales and Marketing. He had a bold vision of expanding into new territories and serving new markets. After Lynn Werner’s death, Lynn MacDonald purchased the company from the Werner family in 1986. That same year, Werner Electric began construction of a new company headquarters in Neenah, Wisconsin. Over the next decade, the company’s growth supported the addition of five new locations serving Wisconsin and the Upper Michigan region.
Acquisitions and Growth
In 1999, Werner Electric began several acquisitions including; Cole Electric Supply, Best Electric Service, and a joint venture with Van Meter Industrial to purchase Northland Electric Supply, currently Werner Electric, Minnesota. Partnerships and acquisitions continued until Werner Electric Supply was able to serve the entire state of Wisconsin. Most recently, Werner Electric has expanded into the Bismarck and Fargo, North Dakota marketplaces.
Werner Electric continues to move forward as a company, keeping our customers’ needs in the forefront. Here’s to our first 70 years and many more to come!